Friday, August 31, 2007

Agony and Ecstasy of Publishing by Dr. Barbara Becker Holstein

I've had both, that's for sure. My first book, THE ENCHANTED SELF, A Positive Therapy! was printed somewhere in the Far East. I think it was Singapore. Anyway, I was waiting and waiting and waiting. Of course the book wasn't arriving and I was going crazy calling my publisher and spending money on a publicist who had no copies to send out! Finally I found out the real truth. My book was sitting in the hull of a ship in a China sea somewhere waiting until other supplies and packages filled the hull. The boat would not sail with only my book aboard!

I was heartsick and could feel the pain of my books lying in a dark chamber in the bottom of a boat in a cold sea!

This went on for months. About four months later my book arrived. I held it like a baby and felt as if my baby had finally come home from the hospital! Now with digital printing and printing on demand that is less likely to happen. I'm relieved for all of us writers. No one should have her books locked in the hull of a ship in a sea across the world.

My new book, THE TRUTH, I'm Ten, I'm Smart and I Know Everything! has had other adventures, but none to compare. However, a Chinese professor who lives in China, has already translated THE TRUTH into Chinese. So I guess I have some sort of connection with the Far East. Maybe it all started when my parents took me as a little girl to the Far East Restaurant in New Haven and they got to eat Chinese food while I was given water, bread and ice cream! Hey, there is the makings of a cute story there. See, the ecstasy always overcomes the agony!

Dr. Barbara Becker Holstein
Author of THE TRUTH: I’m Ten, I’m Smart and I Know Everything!
http://www.enchantedself.com/


Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

No comments: