Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Straight From the Mouth of 'Revived by Grace' Emma Clay


Emma Clay is a writer who shares her own experiences about her encounters with self and her bad decisions. She shares how she transformed a life that seemed hopeless and seeks to give answers to your own questions.  She is dedicated to sharing her true stories with others, in the hopes they will avoid the same pot holes, pitfalls, and detours in their own lives.

She loves people, and her need to share this love will hopefully encourage others to find their own way.

Her latest book is the Christian inspirational memoir, Revived by Grace.

Visit her website at www.EmmaClay.com.

Thanks for letting us interrogate interview you!  Can you give us a go-for-the-gut answer as to why you wanted to be an author?

I really had no intentions of being an author at all. I’ve never did very well in English class. But I’ve had a number of experiences that I think can touch other people, and I was called to tell those stories. I could not hold onto those stories just for myself. I had to tell them, even when writing them hurt.

Tell us (we won’t tell promise!) is it all it’s cracked up to be? I mean what are the perks and what are the demands?

I’ve been blessed in so many ways from the process of writing and sharing my story. Most of these blessings are spiritual—the joy of knowing that I’m doing what God has called me to do. The hard part is knowing that writing is a slow process that takes a lot of work, and the same thing is true of promoting a book.

Which route did you take – traditional or self-published – and can you give us the nitty gritty low down on what’s that like?

I went with a very small publisher. I was blessed to work with my editor, who has helped me through the whole publishing process.

Tell us for real what your family feels about you spending so much time getting your book written, polished, edited, formatted, published, what have you?

I did not tell them until after it was done. They could not figure out what I was doing during all that time, and I think they were all shocked when I told them I had completed a book.

This is for pet lovers.  If you don’t own a pet, skip this question, but do your pets actually get their food on time or do they have to wait until you type just one more word?

Sadly, my dog died during the process of completing my book. She was my companion and friend for 13 years, and I miss her dearly. But I always remembered to feed her!

This is for plant lovers.  If you don’t own a plant, skip this question, but if you do, are they actually still alive?

Yes, I love plants and gardening, and I haven’t killed them yet!

In writing your book, how did you deal with the phone ringing, your family needing dinner or your boss calling you saying you’re late?

My biggest concern was making my husband’s meals and cleaning the house. Neither was done perfectly as I was in the middle of writing the book, but we both managed to survive.

What was the craziest or insane thing that happened to you in the book publishing process?

I was amazed that people were actually buying it and that it has been in the top 100 on Amazon in its categories.

How about the social networks?  Which ones do you believe help and which ones do you wish you could avoid?

I try not to get involved too much in social networks. I rely on my publisher to help promote the book, and I prefer to concentrate on writing.

Book sales.  Don’t you just love them (or lack of?)?  How are you making the sales happen for you?

I am just happy the story is out there. I’ve taken advantage of a few promotion opportunities that have resulted in sales, but mostly I’m trusting God that he will use the book how he wants to and so I’m not stressing about sale.

What is one thing you’d like to jump on the rooftop and scream about?

 I am extremely concerned for the current state of our country, and I’m praying hard that we will return to God and his teachings. God is our only foundation in the midst of chaos.

Okay, too much sugar for you today!  Here’s a nice cup of Chamomile tea and come on over and sit under the cabana and watch the waves roll in.  Now…can you tell us what you love about being a published author and how all those things above doesn’t matter because it’s all part of the whole scheme of things and you wouldn’t have it any other way?

I love hearing that my book has given readers hope to continue on their own journeys and even helped to change lives and perspectives.

No comments: