Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Straight From the Mouth of 'The Devil Made Me Do It' Colette Harrell

Colette (Ford) Harrell the author of the debut novel The Devil Made Me Do It is passionate about the written word. Holding a master’s degree, she is a director of human services. Her creation and implementation of a health and energy medical program stands as a best practices model. Her philosophy of service is compassionate care through a spirit of excellence. A motivational speaker, she specializes in customer and human service workshops on state and national levels.  She is cofounder of COJACK Productions, a Christian entertainment company. As an active member of her church, Kingdom Christian Center, she serves in several ministries.

Colette is a wife, mother, author, poet, songwriter, and playwright. Her novel is a delectable read, where romance, suspense, humor, and the supernatural all come together to entertain, educate, and inspire. 

A Detroit native, she currently resides in Ohio, writing with humor and compassion to engage and minister to the human heart. Her motto is: whatever you do, do it “for love alone.”

Her latest book is the inspirational fiction, The Devil Made Me Do It.
For More Information

Thanks for letting us interrogate interview you! Can you give us a go-for-the-gut answer as to why you wanted to be an author?

Interrogation? Well, I better fess up quick. I love to read . . . reading led to me adding new twists and turns to the stories. Finally, I had to stop messing with their goodies and just write my own. This passion just won't die. Can you get that flashlight outta my face now?

Tell us (we won't tell . . . promise!), is it all it's cracked up to be? I mean what are the perks and what are the demands?

I'm so new at this, it's hard to tell. There are highs and lows. This is very stressful, then exhilarating. The marketing demands have been grueling. (You mean there are no lines forming to buy my first book? No ticket parade? What!!!) This is work! The perks are the people along the way, people who I didn't even know, but who have encouraged me along the way. This has been a roller-coaster ride, and it ain't for the fainthearted.

Which route did you take—traditional or self-published—and can you give us the nitty-gritty lowdown on what that's like?

Traditional, with agent representation.There are some good people in this industry, but it's a business, not adult day care. You will learn your own voice and how to use it.You learn that if you mess up, you'll eat it. There are no do overs. Windows open and close quickly. You have to learn this business, and look out for you. Along the way, you look for ways to pay it forward. Can I get a hug?


What's the snarkiest thing you can say about the publishing industry (e.g., rejections, the long wait, etc.)?

Some people expect you to know things you don’t. It's my statistics teacher experience all over again!

Tell us for real what your family feels about you spending so much time getting your book written, polished, edited, formatted, published, what have you.

 I don't know, I haven't talked to them since it all started. Just kidding. I know they're proud of me. My husband and children tell me that all the time. On the other hand, getting out there can be time-consuming. I know they wish they remembered what I look like. (lol).

What was the craziest or most insane thing that happened to you in the book publishing process?

Including this interrogation? (Btw, thanks for having me.) I don't know—it hasn't happened yet. Now, you have me excited that it will. Yea!

How about the social networks? Which ones do you believe help and which ones do you wish you could avoid?

I'm new to social networking. The power it wields is mind-boggling. What's the saying? Absolute power corrupts, absolutely? It doesn't seem like I can avoid any of them. But, my favorite is reading interesting blog forums.

Book sales. Don't you just love them (or lack of)? How are you making the sales happen for you? 
As I am writing this, my book will come out in a few days. Prerelease sales have been up compared to my last book sales. (You do know, this is my first book . . . lol.)

What is one thing you'd like to jump up on the rooftop and scream about?

Social media. So important. Yet, there are those who use their power for evil. STOP!

Okay, too much sugar for you today! Here's a nice cup of Chamomile tea and come on over and sit under the cabana and watch the waves roll in. Now . . . Can you tell us what you love about being a published author and how all those things previously mentioned don't matter because it's all part of the whole scheme of things and you wouldn't have it any other way?

Sigh . . . This is the best tea ever. The waves make it so peaceful . . . snoozzzzzze.

Oh, you had a request? Right. I have met authors I love, people in the industry who shine bright. At the end of the day, a perfect sentence in a riveting chapter makes the angst go away. Writing is what I love to do. This business is all a part of what I love. Thank you for having me. By the way, is there honey?

No comments: