Thursday, March 26, 2015

Straight from the Mouth of 'Seasons of Empowerment for Adolescent Girls' Irene S. Roth

Irene S. Roth is an academic and freelance writer for teens, tweens and kids. She has written over 500 book reviews and 1,000 online articles on different topics for teens, tweens, and about the craft of writing. She also teaches workshops on writing and craft at Savvy Authors. She lives in Stratford, Ontario with her husband and cat.

Check out her book, Seasons of Empowerment for Adolescent Girls on Amazon.

Questionnaire:

Thanks for letting us interrogate you!  Can you give us a go-for-the-gut answer as to why you wanted to be an author?

I wanted to be an author because I really was inspired to instruct people on how to live their best possible life. I guess I was a born teacher.

Tell us (we won’t tell promise!) is it all it’s cracked up to be?  I mean what are the perks and what are the demands?

The perks of writing are so immense that they cannot be put into writing for myself. However, the biggest perk is doing something that I not only truly love but through which I can be a lifelong learner.  How GREAT to feel that you lived a life worth living!J

Which route did you take – traditional or self-published – and can you give us the nitty gritty low down on what’s that like?

I self-published this book because frankly I had a few hundred or so girls who were eager to see my book and to hold it in their hands. So, I wanted to publish it quickly. And it was really quick!

Tell us for real what your family feels about you spending so much time getting your book written, polished, edited, formatted, published, what have you?

My family got used to me being a writer. There are still days that they revert.  But I am way too committed to my writing to allow them to put a dent in my motivation or time spent at the desk.

Do your pets actually get their food on time or do they have to wait until you type just one more word?

Yes, my kitten gets fed first thing in the morning.  And I give him love all day too.  He is my writing companion and he is never alone or neglected.

Are they actually still alive?

Yes, all my plants live because I take breaks to water them and to give them the occasional pep talk…J

In writing your book, how did you deal with the phone ringing, your family needing dinner or your boss calling you saying you’re late?

I just don’t answer the phone.  And all my friends know not to call me during my writing time. This has become known as Irene’s sacred time.

What was the craziest or insane thing that happened to you in the book publishing process?

When I was publishing my first book, I didn’t expect it to arrive in the mail so fast. So, I was pleasantly surprised and screamed when it happened.  I even alarmed my cat.

How about the social networks?  Which ones do you believe help and which ones do you wish you could avoid?

I think writers could spend too much time on social media. So, I do a few hours a week and that is all.

Book sales.  Don’t you just love them (or lack of?)?  How are you making the sales happen for you?

I have a publicist to help me along with book sales.  And it really helps tremendously.

What is one thing you’d like to jump on the rooftop and scream about?

That the writer’s life is the best life and everyone should try it!

Okay, too much sugar for you today!  Here’s a nice cup of Chamomile tea and come on over and sit under the cabana and watch the waves roll in.  Now…can you tell us what you love about being a published author and how all those things above doesn’t matter because it’s all part of the whole scheme of things and you wouldn’t have it any other way?

I love being an author because I love writing. I couldn’t not write. It is who I am.  I can’t not be a writer and be the person that I am. So, nothing gets in my way, and if I have to live in a hut all alone in a desert I will do it to write.


No comments: