Wednesday, July 13, 2022

Straight From the Mouth of Jennifer Chase


Jennifer Chase is a multi award-winning and USA Today BestSelling crime fiction author, as well as a consulting criminologist. Jennifer holds a bachelor degree in police forensics and a master’s degree in criminology & criminal justice. These academic pursuits developed out of her curiosity about the criminal mind as well as from her own experience with a violent psychopath, providing Jennifer with deep personal investment in every story she tells. In addition, she holds certifications in serial crime and criminal profiling.  She is an affiliate member of the International Association of Forensic Criminologists, and member of the International Thriller Writers.

Her latest book is the crime thriller, Silent Little Angels.

You can visit her website at www.AuthorJenniferChase.com or connect with her on TwitterFacebook and Goodreads.

 


INTERVIEW


Thanks for letting us interrogate you!  Can you give us a go-for-the-gut answer as to why you wanted to be an author?

I LOVE books! I've been creating stories for as long as I can remember. Life is too short not to do what you love.

Tell us (we won’t tell promise!) is it all it’s cracked up to be?  I mean what are the perks and what are the demands?

Of course! For me, the perks are personal. Completing books and having them enjoyed by readers is a dream come true. Demands are keeping on schedule and writing, writing, and writing. Some days it feels like I'm always behind.

Which route did you take – traditional or self-published – and can you give us the nitty gritty low down on what’s that like?

For years, I was self-published. It was great because of the flexibility and being able to make decisions about everything. But, with that came more responsibility taking up time for my writing. In 2019, I signed with a publisher and it's been great. Much of the heavy lifting of editing, promoting, and creating covers has been lifted off me. I have to say that there are perks and demands in both self-publishing and traditional publishing. You have to make the decision of what works best for you and your books.

What’s the snarkiest thing you can say about the publishing industry?

Waiting! Waiting for your book to come out. 

Tell us for real what your family feels about you spending so much time getting your book written, polished, edited, formatted, published, what have you?

My family completely supports me and I've proven to them that it is a real profession that you can earn an income. But, due to the levels of edits and formatting, and of course, finally publishing, they have a difficult time thinking that one book needs all that.

What was the craziest or insane thing that happened to you in the book publishing process?

To me, it's the sales and building of a readership. My readers are AWESOME. And they have no idea how much that means to me. Thank you.

How about the social networks?  Which ones do you believe help and which ones do you wish you could avoid?

Social networks can be helpful as long as you don't spend too much time with them. My experience has been, at least for my thriller novels, that Twitter and Facebook are helpful at increasing my audience: ads and selective postings. My personal blog is also a great place and helps to incorporate postings to any social media outlet you want. But my advice is to do your homework to find out what works for you.

Book sales.  Don’t you just love them (or lack of?)?  How are you making the sales happen for you?

There is no secret recipe. My publisher helps tremendously with promotion and I've learned quite a bit from them for my self-published books. Plan ahead and schedule your writing and publishing. But the most important thing is to make sure you write enough books (professionally edited) and keep them coming. Keep your audience engaged and wanting more. If you write one book a year, you might not be satisfied with the results two months after publication. 

What is one thing you’d like to jump on the rooftop and scream about?

Thank you readers and reviewers! I love you all. You make writing a pure joy ☺

Okay, too much sugar for you today!  Here’s a nice cup of Chamomile tea and come on over and sit under the cabana and watch the waves roll in.  Now…can you tell us what you love about being a published author and how all those things above doesn’t matter because it’s all part of the whole scheme of things and you wouldn’t have it any other way?

I love the challenge of creating a crime fiction story. The satisfaction of completing a project of this size is something that never gets old. I love what I do. I wouldn't have it any other way. 

 Silent Little Angels is available at:




 






1 comment:

Jennifer Chase said...

Thank you for having me on your blog today!