Friday, March 14, 2014

Straight From the Mouth of 'They Call Me Superman' Michael Goffinet



Michael Goffinet was born and raised in Southern California. After earning his Masters of Health Administration degree, he worked in the health care industry for the last two decades.  He currently resides in Las Vegas, Nevada with his wife of twenty years and his teenage son. He is an avid golfer and when he’s not reading or writing he can be found on the golf course.

His latest book is the action thriller, They Call Me Superman. 

Visit his website at www.michaelgoffinet.com.

Thanks for letting us interrogate interview you!  Can you give us a go-for-the-gut answer as to why you wanted to be an author? 

Simple. I love writing novels. If you do it for any other reason, you’ll probably be very disappointed.

Tell us (we won’t tell promise!) is it all it’s cracked up to be?  I mean what are the perks and what are the demands? 

This is my first full length novel, so I haven’t seen any perks yet. Writing a novel is a lot of work. It’s also an emotional rollercoaster. You think your book is in good shape, then the editing process brings you back to reality. There are dozens of stupid typos you missed. Your plot doesn’t flow as well as you thought. Rewrite. Rewrite. Rewrite.
                                
Which route did you take – traditional or self-published – and can you give us the nitty gritty low down on what’s that like? 

I used a small publishing house for They Call Me Superman. Overall, the experience was good. The timing wasn’t always what I expected, but they did a great job of producing the book. You do lose a lot of control, especially over pricing and placement. I won’t know for a while if I made the right decision or not.

What’s the snarkiest thing you can say about the publishing industry (e.g. rejections, the long wait, etc.) ?

The anxiety over rejections letters and the loss of control over your novel.

Tell us for real what your family feels about you spending so much time getting your book written, polished, edited, formatted, published, what have you? 

I’m pretty good about family first. There are times when I’d rather be writing, but I suck it up and spend time with them. It’s important to have balance.

What was the craziest or insane thing that happened to you in the book publishing process? 

Nothing crazy happened. Sorry.

How about the social networks?  Which ones do you believe help and which ones do you wish you could avoid? 

Again, it’s my first full-length novel so I’m still learning what works best. You should have your own website, Twitter and Facebook account.

Book sales.  Don’t you just love them (or lack of?)?  How are you making the sales happen for you? 

Still learning. It so soon, I don’t even know how many sells I’ve had yet.

What is one thing you’d like to jump on the rooftop and scream about? 

That’s easy. Every time I would read my novel, I would fine more and more typos. Just when I think they’re all gone, the editor proves me wrong. Not fun. Also, the many repeating words. We often use the same words over and over. Very frustration.

Okay, too much sugar for you today!  Here’s a nice cup of Chamomile tea and come on over and sit under the cabana and watch the waves roll in.  Now…can you tell us what you love about being a published author and how all those things above doesn’t matter because it’s all part of the whole scheme of things and you wouldn’t have it any other way? 

Overall, I loved it. It feels great when you read the final product. I’m currently working on my next Marcus Evans novel. You can go to michaelgoffinet.com and request my free short story “Karma’s A Bitch.”


No comments: