Wednesday, October 27, 2021

Straight From the Mouth of Author Jennifer Chase

 

5 Things You Should Know About Pretty Broken Dolls


By Jennifer Chase

1.     


1. 
Pretty Broken Dolls revolves around Detective Katie Scott who heads up the cold case unit in Pine Valley, California. I'm fascinated with cold cases as well as the people who investigate them. Even though it's sad that these cases have remained unsolved for a couple of years and sometimes decades, I find that the men and women who persevere with the dedication to solve them to give closure to the families are true heroes.

*According to the US Department of Justice, there are approximately 250,000 cold cases in the US increasing by about 6,000 cases a year. There are close to 40,000 unsolved cold cases in California reported by the Murder Accountability Project, which compiles data from the FBI's Uniform Crime Report.

2.   2Okay, you've probably figured out by now reading any of the books in the Detective Katie Scott series is that I love dogs. Actually, I'm an animal lover and have been even before I could walk. But dogs have always been my go-to buddy. What I truly enjoy is dog training. They are amazing. I prefer active working type of dogs, like Labrador retrievers and German shepherds, which help keep me on my toes. I have trained in obedience, agility, scent and trailing, and dock diving. One of my dogs is trained in German commands just like K9 Cisco in the book.

3. 


 3
Pine Valley, California is a fictitious town in the Sierra Mountains. This book as well as the series takes advantage of the great outdoors, mountains, lakes, and the abundance of Pine trees. I love being outside so I incorporated it into my stories—and a few crime scenes. I feel it adds more character and macabre qualities increasing the interest in the investigation.

4.   4Ever since I went to my first carnival and fair, I've been infatuated with the Ferris wheel ride. Did you know that they were originally designed to be easily taken apart and put back together travelling from town to town? I have to say out of all the rides at the amusement park the expression on the faces of people on that ride is so animated—from wonder to pure joy, and some fear too. I had to incorporate this ride in Pretty Broken Dolls. You'll just have to read it to find out how I highlighted this fair favorite.

5.   5The character Deputy Sean McGaven is loosely based on someone I knew in a law enforcement agency in California and was a deputy sheriff when I met him—he later went on to other positions within the department.  Besides being a tall police officer, he had a great personality with a quick wit.

 


Jennifer Chase
 is a multi award-winning and USA Today BestSelling crime fiction author, as well as a consulting criminologist. Jennifer holds a bachelor’s degree in police forensics and a master’s degree in criminology & criminal justice. These academic pursuits developed out of her curiosity about the criminal mind as well as from her own experience with a violent psychopath, providing Jennifer with deep personal investment in every story she tells. In addition, she holds certifications in serial crime and criminal profiling.  She is an affiliate member of the International Association of Forensic Criminologists, and member of the International Thriller Writers

You can visit her website at www.authorjenniferchase.com or connect with her on TwitterGoodreads and Facebook.

No comments: