Thursday, May 5, 2022

Straight From the Mouth of Judy Serrano, Author of 'Unorganized Crime'

Judy Serrano graduated from Texas A&M University-Commerce with an MA in English. She is the owner of Make Cents Editing Service and is an adjunct professor at a local college. Currently she teaches high school English and is a freelance writer for certain on-line publications. Judy also writes romantic suspense and paranormal romance novels. She is the author of The Easter’s Lilly SeriesThe Linked SeriesIvy Vines, Visions, and Unorganized Crime.

Although originally form New York, Judy resides in Texas with her husband, six cats and one dog. She is the mother of four grown, successful boys, and she sings and plays guitar.

Make Cents Editing: http://www.makecentsediting.com/

Web page: www.JudySerrano.com

Twitter: @AuthorJSerrano

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/JudySerranoAuthor

Blog: http://www.JudySerranoAuthor.com.

 


INTERVIEW


Thanks for letting us interrogate you!  Can you give us a go-for-the-gut answer as to why you wanted to be an author? 


I have always loved to write. I started writing songs, poetry and my first book at 12 years old. It’s just always been a passion of mine. I have always loved to tell stories, and


entertaining others is in my blood.

 

Tell us (we won’t tell promise!) is it all it’s cracked up to be?  I mean what are the perks and what are the demands? 


Publishing has changed quite a bit over the years. There are so many people writing and fewer people reading, which makes the process of finding a high-end publisher more competitive. No, it is not a full-time job for me, which is disheartening. However, there is nothing like seeing your work in print. When people tell me they couldn’t put my book down, the feeling I get is indescribable.

 

Which route did you take – traditional or self-published – and can you give us the nitty gritty low down on what’s that like? 


Like I said above, I would have preferred to get signed with Penguin or Harlequin, but I do have a small publisher. I am pretty close to being self-published. Make no mistake … I will always try to reach a traditional publisher.

 

What’s the snarkiest thing you can say about the publishing industry? 


Snarky? (wink, wink) I have nothing snarky to say. I love writing, and I enjoy being published.

 

Tell us for real what your family feels about you spending so much time getting your book written, polished, edited, formatted, published, what have you? 


They love it. They walk around town recommending my books to everyone they see. I couldn’t have a more supportive group.

 

What was the craziest or insane thing that happened to you in the book publishing process? 


When I signed with my first publisher, I remember getting my first royalty check. It was soooo small, that I contacted a few of the other authors. One of them posted on his Facebook how he was booking his first vacation with his check. He was joking of course. He made $2 for the first quarter. I made enough money to maybe buy a coffee at Starbucks. I was disappointed, shocked, and awakened. Be careful who you sign with. Make sure the commission is fair and keep track of your sales. That was a lesson learned. I still don’t regret it. I GOT PUBLISHED!

 

How about the social networks?  Which ones do you believe help and which ones do you wish you could avoid? 


I predominantly use Facebook and Twitter. I feel that Facebook has been my most successful medium.

 

Book sales.  Don’t you just love them (or lack of?)?  How are you making the sales happen for you? 


Let’s start with lack there of. Let’s face it, most of us are still struggling to write that one best seller.

 

I often use book tours. I have advertised with companies on Twitter and Instagram, but reviews are the way to go. I obviously don’t make enough money to make this more than just a hobby, but it is a blessing and a pleasure to be published.

 

What is one thing you’d like to jump on the rooftop and scream about? 


Grab one of my books and review it on AMAZON! I promise you won’t be able to put it down.

 

Okay, too much sugar for you today!  Here’s a nice cup of Chamomile tea and come on over and sit under the cabana and watch the waves roll in.  Now…can you tell us what you love about being a published author and how all those things above don’t matter because it’s all part of the whole scheme of things and you wouldn’t have it any other way?

 

I was a born storyteller. (Just ask my mom). There is always a “little” bit of truth hidden in the hysteria, and you simply never would believe which parts those might be. I love entertaining people. I wouldn’t change a thing.

 

 Unorganized Crime is available at:


https://www.amazon.com/Secret-Baby-Second-Chance-Stillwater/dp/1335456252/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8 

No comments: