Friday, June 3, 2022

Straight From the Mouth of Roger Stark

 



10 Things You Might Not Know About Roger Stark

By Roger Stark


 

1.  Roger was once named Mr Universe in a local Mr Universe contest.

2.  Roger is one of 8 siblings, the 2nd son and 4th child of the family.

3.  Roger and his wife Susan are the parents of 7 children.

4.  Roger served a two year mission for the LDS Church in the New York City area.

5.  Roger has been married to his wife Susan for 50 years.

6.  Roger has been a wannabe bicycle rider and has ridden the STP (Seattle to Portland) a 200 mile, two day bike ride three times.

7.  Roger is a very modest guitar player and loves singing with his daughters.

8.  Roger owned and backpacked with llamas for a number of years.

9.  Roger and Sue love traveling and are anxious to continue exploring Europe when Covid allows.  They were headed to Scotland when the Covid Pandemic began.

 

10.  Roger was named for his grand mother’s family name, Texy Jane Rogers. Her married name was Weimer and that became his middle name.


I am, by my admission, a reluctant writer. But some stories demand to be told. When we hear them, we must pick up our pen, lest we forget and the stories are lost.

Six years ago, in a quiet conversation with my friend Marvin, I learned the tragic story his father, a WW2 B-29 Airplane Commander, shot down over Nagoya, Japan just months before the end of the war.

The telling of the story that evening by this half orphan was so moving and full of emotion, it compelled me to ask if I could write the story. The result was They Called Him Marvin.

My life has been profoundly touched in so many ways by being part of documenting this sacred story. I pray that we never forget, as a people, the depth of sacrifice that was made by ordinary people like Marvin and his father and mother on our behalf.

My career as an addiction counselor (CDP) lead me to write “The Waterfall Concept; A Blueprint for Addiction Recovery,” and co-author “Reclaiming Your Addicted Brain.”

My next project is already underway, a memoir of growing in SW Washington called “Life on a Sorta Farm.” My wife of 49 years, Susan, and I still live in that area.

We raised seven children and have eleven grandchildren. We love to travel and see the sites and cultures of the world. I still get on my bicycle whenever I can.

You can visit Roger’s website at https://theycalledhimmarvin.com/ or connect with him on Facebook or Instagram.



No comments: